Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Summer Break

Our Break Started off with a camping trip to Cape Disappointment near Long Beach, WA. I had great expectations for this trip. Such great hopes that our bags included swim suits, shovels and buckets. Our campsite was really large and bordered the beach, one of the better places I have been to on the coast. But once I opened our car door I got a reality check and wished I had packed winter coats and gloves. WE FROZE! At one point I was so cold, during the day, I went in our tent and bundled up in our 30 below sleeping bag just to get warm. The kids did do some sandcastle building but not in their swimsuits and lucky us the day we packed up to come home the sun was shining and it was warm outside. But all in all it was fun and definately beautiful!



We spent the next few days hanging out in Portland. We did some swimming, slash park, movie, BBQ and I really can't even remember what we did. Next we headed to Seattle for a few days. We had a really great time but I am such a small town girl I get a little claustrophobic in the big cities. We went to a Mariners game and had really great seats and sat by some hecklers which I secretly wish I was one, they make the game so much more entertaining. We took the kids to Pikes Market and watched them throw some fish and ate on the pier.






Oh and I think the best part of the trip is Summer and I took the kids to a science museum and they had a butterfly exhibit which was really cool. We walked into this special room and there are butterflies flying all around us. As we were getting ready to leave we were waiting in line to be checked for hiding butterflies and Waklee says to the Mom in front of us, "watch your step, there is a butterfly on the ground." I thought to myself what a nice little girl she is and then what do you know Reese takes a step over the butterfly and then another step and smashes that poor little thing. Both Wakes and I were like, "Ohhhhhhhhhh Reesie." Poor thing, the butterfly that is. The mom in front of us commented that is was just an accident, let's hope so. And then the butterfly caretaker came back and the lady told him there was an injured butterfly that needed attention. I was thinking probably more than injured. But that little mishap was so typical of Reesie girl.

We are home and back in the swing of things which I like it that way!

5 comments:

Lisa C said...

Sounds like you guys are having a fun and busy summer! I can't wait to start doing fun, summery things...but having a newborn is fun, too!

The Johnston's said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun break, minus the bad camping weather. The butterfly exhibit sounds cool to. Oh how I miss POrtland :(

Jeff and Amy said...

I don't think I have ever been to the coast in Portland when it was warm, but I hear that it does sometimes happen. The breaks are definitely fun, but it is nice to be back home doing your thing again.

Marisa said...

Hi Penny! Cute, cute blog. Your girls are adorable - I can tell they're cousins to the Williams' clan.

I'm so glad you found our blog! I haven't updated in a while. But, for the Heidi of the Alps thing I just do two high ponies and then braid them. When I get to the last two inches or so I stop and flip that up to the top elastic. Then I put in another elastic over the "looped" part. Then I just use the flat iron to make it curl over and spray it. I hope that makes sense...if not, let me know.

Oh, it was also fun to find Mark and Michelle last Christmas and get a Christmas card from them. Wow...it was so long ago when we were in Poky and I remember you and Eric just starting to date!

Take care!

Tiffany said...

My family went to cape d too for the 4th and had nothing but rain! It's too bad too, it's usually so pretty there this time of year!