"Our fond memories of our Grandpa Jack begin with the long road trips filled with the echoes of “are we there yet” anticipating our arrival to the rustic log cabin home, built by our Grandpa, nestled in the heart of the Rocky Mountains. We can each picture that home with the sounds of the creaking wood floor, the feel of the western leather covered chairs, and waking to the aroma of coffee and eggs, and how many grandparents had a creek that ran through their back yard. Our next memories take us to the lakes of Flaming Gorge and Lake Powell where we all learned how to water ski behind Grandpa’s boat and learned to appreciate the ssss of Granpa’s laugh as we took our tumbles over the wake. Kami’s fond memories include spending a few weeks in the summer with her Grandparents and Grandpa picking her up at the airport in his fancy red t-bird. Chad’s include the trip He & I took to Texas to paint Grandpa’s fence thinking all along we were the most worthless grandkids around because we couldn’t take the heat of theTexas sun and after Chad had watched Grandpa’s character he came to a little bit of an understanding of why Chad is how he is. Lex remembers helping prepare Grandpa’s ranch in Colorado to sale and wishing that it didn’t have to be sold and I cherish the few “I love you’s I got out of him at the end of a conversation on the phone. Tagg remembers catching his first and only fish in the creek behind Grandpas home and Grandpa teaching him the domino effect.
Although we each have fond memories our greatest memory is this past Summer when Grandpa made the long hard trip to Idaho to join us for our Williams family reunion. We had a party to celebrate his 80th birthday and My mom shared a few her memories: She said * I remember you driving 20 miles one way through snowdrifts so that I could meet a bus in Jefferson so I could go to a ball game and cheer. *I remember us getting ready to go to town and you would go to the car and honk the horn for Mom and she would come out fighting mad to the car. I never understood why you would want to make her mad to start off. *Jerry remembers that our little cabin was awfully hot when we he told you that we were going to get married. He had sweat rolling off of him. And to go along with that story we asked our Grandpa Jack at the Idaho reunion what he thought of Jerry back then and Grandpa just paused and said, "he was alright" and then I asked, "well what do you think of him now" and with a twinkle in his eyes he said, “He’s alright.” Mom also shared…..
At this reunion we were able to learn more about our Grandpa and become more acquainted with our Grandfather as as a teasing & pesty brother, a patient husband, a beloved father, a respected Grandfather & Great-Grand Father. One of the sweetest and truest things that was said is when Aunt Liz was quoted saying that “Jack is our Rock of Gibralter, he is always there when we need him.” This trip that Grandpa made was very hard for him physically but meant the world to all of us and we will treasure it always. We love you Grandpa to which we can all hear the reply, “YUh huh.”
3 comments:
He sounds like a wonderful man, an example to live by. I hope any sorrow you are feeling passes soon.
Caren told us about your loss, I was sorry to hear about it. I hope the girls had fun with her this weekend while you were gone. (P.S. I found you through Amy J's blog, hope you don't mind!)
Your grandfather sounded like an awesome and great man. I wish that I knew my grandparents better, especially when I hear stories like yours of your experiences and memories of your grandpa. My heart goes out to your family.
Post a Comment